Category: Work In Progress

  • RAGNAROK: An Animatic Previsualization (2008)

    Watch on Vimeo

    Synopsis: On the eve of Ragnarok, Odin reflects on the deeds of his life and consults with Mimir about the fate of the world before heading to battle. This is the animatic created in 2008 for my stopmotion animation titled “RAGNAROK”.
    Running Time: Approximately 7 minutes 18 seconds
    Format: NTSC, Widescreen, Color, Broken Esperanto
    Audio: Digital AC-3, Stereo
    Music: Grant Goans
    Genres: Animation, Stop Motion, Experimental
    Location: Atlanta, GA, U.S.A.
    Completed: 2008

  • Halloween Project 2014 – Work in progress

    Production still from a project that I’m working on. If all goes well then at least part of it will be ready for Halloween 2014.


  • Teaser Poster ESCHATON Act 2

    The second act of ESCHATON is now in production. Here is the teaser poster.
    Watch Act 1 on Vimeo


  • Modular Support Rig for Puppets

    I viewed a work in progress video by Justin Rasch and Shel Wagner Rasch recently. The support rig is still visible, which is fascinating to see. What appears to be a free weight is being used for the base. I had previously been drilling holes in the floor of my sets to hold wire support rigs for my puppet animations. The free weight idea is better because it offers stability PLUS mobility, flexibility of use, and freedom of placement on the set.

    I took a trip to the used sports equipment store and got a couple of 3 pound weights. The example in the Rasch video shows the armature wire secured to the weight. That pretty much guarantees stability. However, I wanted to explore something modular to help speed up repairs if the rig wire breaks during filming. I went to the home improvement store’s plumbing section and explored a bit. I found sections of plastic threaded pipe with associated threaded caps. I uploaded 5 pictures to flickr that I took while building.

    Armature support rig

    The experiment seems to have worked. There is nothing really permanent except the twisted rig wire epoxied into one cap. If the rig wire fails I just replace the cap (which means I can have spare wire-caps ready). If the height of the rig needs to be adjusted, I can add longer or shorter sections of pipe since they come in different lengths.

    I won’t know for certain how these modular supports work until I put them to use in a future project. Many thanks to the Rasch’s for posting their work in progress which inspired this quick project.